Sunday, October 7, 2012

Finding Joy Now

This lesson was one of my favorites this year. It is Young Women's Manual 1, lesson 6: Finding Joy Now.  It is one of the hardest things we learn to perfect in our lives, being happy with what we have and who we are right now.

The Object lesson:  I started the lesson with an object lesson about shoes. I showed the girls 10 shoes that were each very different. I explained that while each shoe is cute,  I also needed to tell them something about each shoe. I proceeded with a "persona insight" about each shoe:
Ex. The high heels are too high so they don't get worn often. The grey flats are falling apart on the inside. One of the pairs makes my feet smell. One of the pairs were far too expensive and I'm still paying them off (example of course: ) etc..
This object lesson was to help the girls understand that they shouldn't compare themselves to others and that everyone has something that they are working on and we will truly never know what someone else is going through. The girls really liked this and they said that it helped them understand that not everyone's perfect and we should focus our efforts on being their best self.

The Handout:

1. I created a small written handout in Photoshop  that says," Find the Joy Love the Shoes you're in"
2. Using Coordinating Scrapbook paper I made these adorable shoes. I used the shoe template found here. If I made these again, I would use a thicker paper so that the shoes aren't so delicate while taping them together. I also used double stick tape because I think using glue would be a nightmare.
3. I then hot glued 3 gems on the top of the toe as an embellishment





If I made these again, I would have printed the saying smaller and glued it onto the inside of the shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment